Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A dental school update

Two interesting things about dental school. First, the thought never crossed my mind prior to actually attending dental school that every test that we will take is a multiple choice test. Yep, multiple choice. I haven't had all multiple choice tests since high school, or maybe even earlier than that. But I guess it makes sense since the board exams are all multiple choice tests just like the DAT was to get into dental school. I just thought that was kind of an interesting fact about dental school that you all might like to know.

The second is, Acrylic is frustrating. Today in lab we were making provisional crowns out of acrylic. To mix up the acrylic you mix this tooth colored powder with a liquid and the reaction hardens it into a hard material that would work as a temp. crown. The only thing is there is no real recipe to follow to mix up the stuff, just trial and error. So I mixed up the first batch, too runny. Second batch looked promising, but pulled out of the contact areas when I tried to remove the crown. Third batch, same as the second. Finally the 4th batch actually worked and I will be able to use the crown to trim up to the right shape and polish into a working temporary crown.

So there you have it, two little tidbits about dental school that you didn't know before you read this post.

1 comment:

Ry and Kris Jones said...

isn't it awesome that all the tests are multiple choice? I never would have guessed that that would be the case either, but I won't complain. I've heard that putting a little bit of dish soap on the plastic prep keeps the provisional from sticking to it. That might help. Good luck buddy. Take care. Ryan