Tuesday, February 17, 2009

In the name of education...

Sorry it has been awhile for any of you who actually take the time to check our blog and see what is up.  Time has been flying and I have been meaning to post some stuff, but it hasn't happened.  I will try and catch up a little with what I have been up to. 

In the past few weeks I have done some crazy things in the name of education, such as; Peel the flesh from a mans face, cut off a guys lower jaw with what can only be described as the fanciest hedge clippers ever, and today I sawed a guys head in half...all in the name of education.

Before you go colling the authorities on me, it was all legal.  We have been doing our Head and Neck section in the Anatomy cadaver lab.  All sorts of once-in-a-lifetime opportunities occur in Anatomy lab.  

Aside from that classes and pre-clinic lab is keeping me busy.  I am doing well in the class work and the lab is going pretty well too.  There is a pretty steep learning curve for drilling teeth though.  A lot of very fine hand movements and little room for error.  Imagine trying to write your name on a piece of paper while looking in the mirror.  Only you have to make your name read right to left when you are done and turn the paper back around to face you.  Sound challenging?  Now think about doing that with a high speed drill on someones tooth.  It has been a challenge, but I am getting better at it day by day.    I have some pictures of my early attempts that I will post soon, and then I will follow those up with my more recent successes.

Aside from school there isn't much else going on in my life.  School keeps me busy enough, and what free time I have I try to spend with Ashley when she isn't at work.  But life is good and we are happy so I guess that is all that matters.

Well I need to run, check back for some pictures coming soon. 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt,
Sounds like you're having fun! In sort of a morbid way though! It sounds interesting in a medical/scientific way. Drilling takes a steady hand. Get all the practice you can, so I can relax when you get around to working on me someday. In our Health lesson recently we did an experiment with leaving an eggshell in water and in soda pop for a few days. The premise is that eggshells are made of calcium like teeth, and of course the shell in the pop turned brown and got pitted and weakened. It really brought home to the kids (and to me) what too much soda pop can do to their teeth. But whether it will change their habits I don't know. Dr. Thurn donated toothbrushes again for my class, so that is nice of him to do that. I'm glad you're enjoying school. Say "hi" to Ashley for me.
Love, Mom

Sue said...

myogiGood to read another post from you. I wondered if you had gotten so busy that you didn't have time to write. I just posted a ton of pictures from last fall on my site, so check it out. We didn't work on cadavers when I was in nursing school, so I have never had the opportunity that you are having. I agree with your mom, get lots of practice on drilling. Maybe someday I will let you work on me!!!LOL Aunt Susan

Sue said...

Sorry about the myogi part. It was the word verification word. LOL